Welcome Nomad!

The #1 free community for digital nomads. Ask questions and get answers. Share experiences, knowledge and your adventure. No more paid and private clubs, just one awesome community! Welcome :)

Get the resources, information, and answers to your burning questions about how to be a digital nomad. From quitting your day job to finding freelance gigs to taking your business on the road.
Hey All!

I am working on arranging my job and my life to work remotely from Roatan, Honduras. I may potentially move to other locations in the next few years but as of now that will be my first remote adventure. I have traditionally worked in an office before and am definitely anxious about some of the tasks and requirements ahead of me. I will most likely be able to keep my current job (or work at the same company) which is awesome. There are a few main topics that I am not quite sure of. Any direction on these is greatly appreciated!

- Are there any special immigrant / visa / tax laws I should be aware of prior to moving? Any forms / agencies I need to contact to verify my status?
- How does taxation work as a US citizen working remotely in a foreign country, both for US and Honduran taxes?
- My company supplies my computer and equipment due to security and legal reasons. Is there a great way to ensure I have access to new equipment or shipping services if the need arises?
- High speed, reliable internet access is a must. Should I bank on Roatan having these services, or would I be better off getting a plug in network card for my computer?

I am sure I am missing a few things - any and all advice is very welcome. Thanks in advance! :)
- Are there any special immigrant / visa / tax laws I should be aware of prior to moving? Any forms / agencies I need to contact to verify my status?

Most digital nomads work in countries on tourist visas. Although not technically legal is can be very difficult to get the correct paperwork filed as a digital nomad.

- How does taxation work as a US citizen working remotely in a foreign country, both for US and Honduran taxes?

Most digital nomads are only paying taxes in their home country, despite if the work is done in a foreign country.

- My company supplies my computer and equipment due to security and legal reasons. Is there a great way to ensure I have access to new equipment or shipping services if the need arises?

You need to do research into what mail options are available in the area you're going. Most likely the only option would be a private courier like UPS. Keep in mind this might be pricy. You need to look into shipping laws for the area.

- High speed, reliable internet access is a must. Should I bank on Roatan having these services, or would I be better off getting a plug in network card for my computer?

I would see if you can find a digital nomad group on Facebook for your specific area, country or continent and ask other people living and working there what the best wifi solution is :)

Hope this helps!

:idea: Here's a link -> workmode.co Hey guys[…]

Hey guys I'm friz, I'm an indie maker. Currently t[…]

hotels in Kiev, Ukraine

hey there, hope everyone in a Christmas mood. I'm […]

Hey everyone, Just dropping by to share our lates[…]

Our Digital Nomad Facebook Group Is Plain Awesome