Welcome Nomad!

The #1 free community for digital nomads. Ask questions and get answers. Share experiences, knowledge and your adventure. No more paid and private clubs, just one awesome community! Welcome :)

Foreign countries, foreign laws...stay out of jail with the help of this forum and find the best solution for your tax questions.
Dear all,

Hopefully someone faced the same issue and can help me with these 2 tax questions.

I am a Dutch citizen, but emigrated 2 yrs ago to Thailand for a full-time working position. Those 2 yrs I paid tax in Thailand and everything was officially arranged/closed with the Dutch tax agency the date of emigration. So everything went very legal and transparent.

Recently things got tricky: I just quit my job in Thailand and I am planning to keep traveling for the coming 2 yrs or so (not planning to stay anywhere longer than 6 months). I am planning to earn my money through an online website where I offer advice to Dutch expats based worldwide.

The big questions I have now is where to pay my tax and where to register this company????!

Some thoughts:

1. Thailand - I read they only tax you if you stay longer than 6 months in their country AND only on money physically made in the country . Also registering a company in Thailand will be a massive challenge!!
2. Netherlands - I am planning to stay there only 2 months or so per year. The customers will be Dutch, but they are expats, so are based globally.
3.Is it really necessary to register the company?

All information would be very helpful.
Hoi Peter,

You don't seem to have had much of a response here, but it's a tricky subject. I'm no expert, so I don't know if I can be much help. However, if you aren't resident in any country for more than 3 months, I don't think you will be eligible to pay taxes there. I face a similar problem myself. When I moved to the Netherlands I registered my company with the KvK and chose to pay Dutch taxes. That was two years ago. Now I'm on the move again. I was happy to continue paying Dutch taxes, but the KvK said I needed to uitschriven met mijn bedrijf because I no longer had an address in the Netherlands. I've spent some time looking into this and still have no answers, so I'm going to just keep on setting money aside (als spaargeld) so I have it if needed.

The thing is, in your case, your clients are expats. Even though they are Dutch, they probably won't be sending money from the Netherlands, so there should be nothing to muddy the water and make things overly complicated. In theory you may not have to pay taxes at all.

Actually we appear to be in the same boat. I'm an Englishman who made everything "legal and transparent" and began paying Dutch taxes—for two years. Your a Dutch man who chose to pay Thai taxes—for two years. We've both now moved on are wondering what the f@@k we're meant to do. Een beetje van een toeval, toch? :D
Hi,
I am also not an expert on the subject, but I will provide my 2 cents.
There are many taxes and the bad news is that every country has different tax regulations.
In general, the main taxes are:
- Income tax: It depends on your residence. In many countries, you need to stay there more than 6 months to be eligible for this tax ( e.g. Germany), in others 2 months ( e.g. HK). There is no way to avoid this tax if you have a permanent residence. The alternative is to keep moving on tourist Visas, however, some countries will keep trying to tax you.
- Corporate tax: It depends on where your company is located. Consider that you can pick and chose to locate your company where the taxes are lower. Check HK, Panama, British Virgin Islands etc
- VAT or GDS: Here gets tricky. It depends on where your company is located and where you are selling your services. E.g. If your company is located outside Europe and you sell services to a European client, it is the client that is responsible to pay the VAT using the reverse charge procedure.

I hope that this fast overview can bring some clarity
Hello!

I decided to open my freelance company in Bulgaria, for a few reasons:
- it's in Europe and a European Union member
- Bulgarian currency (LEV/BGN) it's bind to Euro
- flat tax 10%
- cheap costs for living
- cheap costs for business
- cheap flights for and from a lot of countries
- everyone speaks english

I'm actually living in Sofia, I'm not contrained to stay here for business purpose, but I'm liking it.

I hope that this helped you! Ciao ;)

:idea: Here's a link -> workmode.co Hey guys[…]

Hey guys I'm friz, I'm an indie maker. Currently t[…]

hotels in Kiev, Ukraine

hey there, hope everyone in a Christmas mood. I'm […]

Hey everyone, Just dropping by to share our lates[…]

Our Digital Nomad Facebook Group Is Plain Awesome