[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 494: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 494: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 5312: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3925)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 5312: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3925)
Company Health Insurance While Abroad? - Digital Nomads Forum

Welcome Nomad!

PLEASE VISIT OUR NEW SITE USING THE LINK AT THE TOP OF THIS PAGE - The #1 free community for digital nomads. Ask questions and get answers. Share experiences, knowledge and your adventure. No more paid and private clubs, just one awesome community! Welcome :)

What's the best travel insurance for Digital Nomads? It's your body, your stuff, and your well-being. Protect it!
By jillindelray
Hi all, my husband and I will become digital nomads soon. We'll be relying on me doing my job remotely. We both currently have health insurance via my company. Does anyone have experience using US based health insurance while in other countries?

We are relatively healthy and don't expect to go to the doctor often. I understand in some countries we may be able to just pay the doctor's fees and not worry about insurance claims, because healthcare will be cheaper there. But should disaster strike and we need significant care, I'm wondering what would happen.

We happen to have CareFirst Blue Cross Blue Shield.
Emergency medical insurance is good to have while travelling. But you are right, many countries it is quite affordable to pay medical bills. If you want to be extremely safe in case of any emergency, emergency medical insurance is the way to go. I have used Travel Cuts and they gave me the best price I could find. Best of luck Jill! :)
Does it make sense to keep the company health insurance? Anyone know if you’re able to use it while abroad, in cases where you have significant bills?

I thought maybe it made sense to keep it even though I am paying a portion of it and might not be able to use it, simply in case for some reason we have to cut short the nomadism and return to the US.
It would make sense especially if you're not paying for it! But every insurance policy is different. By far, the best way to approach this would be to contact the insurance company, explain what you plan on doing and ask if your plan covers your needs :)
I have contacted the insurance company and they said they do have benefits for office, hospital, and emergency services. While it sounds like there are some providers who would submit claims to Blue Cross's Global Core program processor, it seems likely I'll need to pay in full and submit itemized bills back to CareFirst. Hopefully, any providers I may need to use will use the ICD-10 codes because that will probably be the key to getting Care First to reimburse. (The bills have to be translated to English also, and it sounds like that's on me if the provider doesn't provide it). And all non-emergency stuff will be reimbursed at out of network rates.

Now, Robert, you mention Emergency Medical Insurance, and you've used Travel Cuts. Are you also covered by employer-provided insurance? Wondering if there's any point to having both.
Thanks
I have never had employer provided insurance while travelling so unfortunately I cannot comment on that.
long long title how many chars? lets see 123 ok more? yes 60

We have created lots of YouTube videos just so you can achieve [...]

Another post test yes yes yes or no, maybe ni? :-/

The best flat phpBB theme around. Period. Fine craftmanship and [...]

Do you need a super MOD? Well here it is. chew on this

All you need is right here. Content tag, SEO, listing, Pizza and spaghetti [...]

Lasagna on me this time ok? I got plenty of cash

this should be fantastic. but what about links,images, bbcodes etc etc? [...]

Our Digital Nomad Facebook Group Is Plain Awesome