[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 494: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 494: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 5312: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3925)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 5312: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3925)
work visa or tourist visa as a digital nomad in China? - Digital Nomads Forum

Welcome Nomad!

PLEASE VISIT OUR NEW SITE USING THE LINK AT THE TOP OF THIS PAGE - The #1 free community for digital nomads. Ask questions and get answers. Share experiences, knowledge and your adventure. No more paid and private clubs, just one awesome community! Welcome :)

How do you get into and stay in foreign countries? VISA on arrival, e-VISA, or an embassy visit? We'll help you get the info you need to arrive at your destination.
My partner and I are moving to China! I have a job as a teacher and my school is sorting out my work visa. My partner has two online jobs and we would like some advice whether he can work online with a tourist visa or whether he needs to try and obtain a work visa.
Anyone have an idea or know where we could find this information? I have looked online and am struggling :/
Anna
Hei @schokovampire!

Where are you from? There are different regulations for different origin countries. Just judging from the schoko (and because I just read this post: : ) I'll place you up first and assume you're from Germany, #1 country for visa-ease, it seems.

You'd still need a visa for China, though...
I guess you read through pages like these ones?

-

In terms of a working visa I believe it depends on which country the companies he's working in are located, and what type of contract he has.

I'm contracting for a US company (being an Austrian citizen myself), and I file taxes in Austria. Thus, as an online contractor I don't need a working visa in the country I'm in. But that's because there's nothing actually connecting me to the country - except that I'm living there, haha!

Yeah, this whole remote working can get somewhat confusing : )

Basically I believe that if he wants to work in China he'll probably need to get a work visa, while if he keeps working remotely it depends on the contract, but most likely he'll just need to sort things out with his country of residence.

Hope this helps a bit : )
There's the official way of doing things, and then there's what 90% of digital nomads do. Most digital nomads will just apply for tourist related visas and not mention anything regarding their work. Reason being that work related visas can often be very difficult or complicated to acquire without a company inside of the country helping out.

If you can get a tourist visa for the length needed, this will almost always be easier. So then while he works remotely, it's technically not legal, but very difficult to get in trouble.

Not really recommending one over the other, just sharing what I have observed :)

Hope this helps!
okay thank you for your advice guys. I think I am just panicking because I know you can't use facebook in China so I think they monitor everything very closely and my father is worried we will end up in jail and never get out if we do something illegal.
I am from England and the work visa requires a medical test so the visa costs are adding up so I think the tourist visa would also be cheaper.

Thank you for your advice,
Anna
Oh, okay!
I think you don't have to worry about that too much.
I haven't been to China, but I've generally made the experience that the outside perception of a country is usually way worse than the reality actually is. Tons of people live their lives there happily (as much as humans are capable to, at least).

And they won't be putting English citizens into jail forever due to some visa trouble, that'd cause much more trouble than anyone would want and simply doesn't stand for it.
Sure, you shouldn't be out on the streets dealing with drugs or robbing banks, but being there with the wrong visa - I'm pretty sure - is not such a big deal.

That said, I think it's great that you're trying to get it right legally - I think this is much better than relying on the fact that "nothing's gonna happen". A lot of people don't do it, as Robert mentioned, but I think it's also nice to try to be fair to the regulations of the country you are visiting as a guest. No matter how long you plan to stay : )

I guess there's a personal border when it is just too difficult in relation to what it brings, and you shouldn't despair on hitting it, but aiming high in doing things the right way is a nice trait I think : )

I wish you all the best, and I'm sure you'll manage to get it work!
Hi all,

As others were saying, many people just get the tourist visa and work anyway. Even with tourist visa you'll likely have to register with the local police but they don't seem to care. However, I would imagine if you were to get in some sort of issue in China, this would be the way they can pin fault on you.

When you get to China you will have many opportunities to buy a VPN address from Europe. It costs about 25USD and will give you access to Facebook, Youtube, etc.
long long title how many chars? lets see 123 ok more? yes 60

We have created lots of YouTube videos just so you can achieve [...]

Another post test yes yes yes or no, maybe ni? :-/

The best flat phpBB theme around. Period. Fine craftmanship and [...]

Do you need a super MOD? Well here it is. chew on this

All you need is right here. Content tag, SEO, listing, Pizza and spaghetti [...]

Lasagna on me this time ok? I got plenty of cash

this should be fantastic. but what about links,images, bbcodes etc etc? [...]

Our Digital Nomad Facebook Group Is Plain Awesome