Page 1 of 1

What type of Visa should I get for visiting Schengen area for 4-5 months?

PostPosted:Thu Apr 20, 2017 8:18 am
by GabrielaPreiss
Hello all! I'm an American who will be studying in Lisbon for a 9 week course, but want to extend my stay for about 4-5 months. I know I cannot exceed a 3 month stay without a visa. Which would be better- a student visa or a tourist visa? And do I need a return flight before applying for the visa? Also, I understand I need proof of travel insurance. This is insurance I purchase from the Portuguese govt, or something I add on to my current American insurance.
Thanks, and hope to hear from you all soon!