Welcome Nomad!

The #1 free community for digital nomads. Ask questions and get answers. Share experiences, knowledge and your adventure. No more paid and private clubs, just one awesome community! Welcome :)

Get the resources, information, and answers to your burning questions about how to be a digital nomad. From quitting your day job to finding freelance gigs to taking your business on the road.
Hey guys, I found this epicly detailed guide on how to optimize your Upwork profile internal SEO (your likelihood of showing up in searches for freelancers on Upwork).

I made a few tweaks to my account thanks to this! :) https://www.thefreelanceeffect.com/upwork-seo/

Here's a screenshot of the factors is goes over in depth:

upworkprofileseofactors.jpg
upworkprofileseofactors.jpg (62.93 KiB) Viewed 1659 times
Hm, interesting! So you're using Upwork for gigs? Do you maybe have some tips for "the other side"?

I'm on the task to learn how to hire good people, and Upwork was one of the platforms we used. But there's a lot of fluff around. I know there's for sure not a clear algorithm to decide who's useful and who isn't, and I understand that it's more of assessing personal requirements and profiles on a case-by-case basis.

I was just wondering that - considering you've been using the platform - whether there were some interesting things you discovered that a potential employer can look out for (both positively as well as negatively).
Good and popular question. I've hired a few people through Upwork with success. Here are some points to make your life a lot easier when hiring:

- Make your job description as detailed as possible
- Ask applicants to answer one or more qualifying questions
- Ignore super general applications that don't speak to why they can do a great job helping with what you specifically need
- Review applicants profile, typically easy to see their level of quality, reviews etc.

Once you've selected someone these few points will avoid most conflict:

- Clearly define the exact scope of what is needed on your end and how much it will cost to get it done
- Set a deadline for completions of milestones or the entire project

I think with a fair bit of due diligence Upwork is an excellent platform for finding people to get the job done right in many niches!
Hey Lewis! Welcome to the forum and thanks for chiming in. I have some questions that I think your expert perspective could really shed some light on:

1) How impactful is having a profile video on Upwork? Do you know anyone personally who can help people create stellar videos?

2) Did you notice big changes on Upwork once you acquired rising talent and top-rated badges?

3) What are your thoughts on agencies vs individual freelancers on Upwork? Are their benefits of joining forces with 2-4 other highly related freelancers to form an Upwork agency?

4) Do you know of any 3rd party platforms that can help you A/B test your proposals?

5) When you write proposals, how long does it take you on average to put together a high quality proposal for a typical job?

Looking forward to hearing the answers.
Okay...

This is, like, the most delayed response you'll ever see, so I apologise for that. This post completely slipped my mind :)

1) How impactful is having a profile video on Upwork? Do you know anyone personally who can help people create stellar videos?

Honestly, this is something I haven’t even experimented with, mostly because I haven’t needed to. That said, it is on my to-do list and I can only imagine it would help improve conversions.

One thing to note about this, though, is that the video link is not very prominent on your profile, and you may actually be better off directly linking to your video from within your cover letter. This would be made even more powerful if it was a custom video, specifically made for that client.

2) Did you notice big changes on Upwork once you acquired rising talent and top-rated badges?

I acquired my Rising Talent status very early on, after only 1 job (If I remember correctly). And soon after, I had the Top Rated status which means I didn’t have much to compare in terms of badge vs no badge.

I did see a slight improvement when going from Rising Talent to Top Rated, but that could have been attributed to me getting better at understanding the platform, writing cover letters, etc.

Having these statuses will give you some added credibility, but what you say and how you present yourself is significantly more important.

3) What are your thoughts on agencies vs individual freelancers on Upwork? Are their benefits of joining forces with 2-4 other highly related freelancers to form an Upwork agency?

I’ve never worked as part of agency on Upwork, but I do often exclude them during my own hiring process whenever I post a job —simply because I prefer to work with an individual. Again, this is something I need to explore a little more, but my instinct says you’re better off working solo.

4) Do you know of any 3rd party platforms that can help you A/B test your proposals?

It’s actually impossible to properly A/B test your proposals since they will almost always be different, depending on the job. And, of course, you can’t send 2 variations of a proposal to the same client.

This is more of an iterative process that you just get a sense for over time. I have come up with a formula that I find works really well, and it’s something I share with email subscribers, but there’s still an element of “figuring it out” that, unfortunately, can’t be avoided.

5) When you write proposals, how long does it take you on average to put together a high quality proposal for a typical job?

When I first started out, I’d spend anywhere from 30-45 minutes per cover letter, and I’d make them SUPER personalised. Nowadays, I spend closer to 10 minutes per cover letter (you get faster over time) and I no longer personalise all of it — there’s really no need.

--

Hope that answers your questions, and again, sorry for the ridiculously late reply.

Hello, nomads in Budapest! We are students of Yons[…]

If your looking to add a team member, I would be m[…]

There's a combination of things. Healthy eating.[…]

We are a Outsourcing Sales Company based in Thail[…]

Join Our Facebook Group Today!