Welcome Nomad!

The #1 free community for digital nomads. Ask questions and get answers. Share experiences, knowledge and your adventure. No more paid and private clubs, just one awesome community! Welcome :)

Driving across the country in a camper van whilst also being a digital nomad? Here's the place to learn how to and discuss the lifestyle! Moderated by Armando Costantino & Melony Candea, co-founders of Westfalia Digital Nomads, a lifestyle blog dedicated to #vanlife while being a digital nomad. They've been on the road 4+ years!
Hey guys! :)

I bet this differs based on your location, but what's the least and average you would pay for a running camper van that you could start travelling around in?

Do you guys budget any amount for repairs? What's typical for maintenance costs on your van?
Hi Jessy, this is the second time I've written this reply (apparently my first reply took too long and I had to re-log in) so apologies if this is a bit abrupt. Good news is it's fresh in my mind so hopefully I can write faster and leaner. ;)

We bought a T4 Westfalia Volkswagon ('95) within a week of us agreeing a van was the best option; Armando spotting it and meeting the owner; and the owner selling it that week. We paid around 6,000 Euros for what's known as a 'pre-made' in some odd vanlife circles. We have a fridge/stovetop/sink and pullout bed plus pop top.

We were super lucky.

It depends on what you want, though. We met a fella from the UK on the road in Morocco and he'd spent (I think-?) around £2,000 for a van skeleton and around £11,000 for the conversion to where he was happy. For us the priority was to travel together, comfortably; for him, it was to make a home. It took him several months, so that's a commitment - but he does have a really beautiful place in his van. :)

I'll make this short in case I get cut off again. I'd sent links earlier, but basically when you look use keywords like: buy campervan in X (US/UK/CZ (where we bought ours)) or van for sale in X. Switch up the keywords. Have fun with it-! Also, ask around. Someone might know someone with a van. And ask on groups. I dunno how many FB groups you've checked out, but ask on sites designed to find owners for sellers - specifically for vans.

Hope this is helpful, let me know whatever other info you need. :)

Mel
Lastly, maintenance costs (sorry, I'd written before): we've had some issues, for sure. Like any vehicle. Especially one that's used so often in so many different climates. Our T4 has been pretty amazing, really. But every year, yes. Something happens. And having a cache of cash for that I'd defo recommend. One moment, our muffler fell off. Another, the engine refused to sync. Another the sink valve forgot how to work. Plus we added the solar panel and transformer stuffs for our plugs. New tires. Basic stuff, really. Don't forget, however, that keeping it maintained and checked up (with a mind on upkeep savings) is not much compared to when a pipe bursts in a flat you're renting or some other anomaly happens. And some of our 'break downs' led to happy accidents of staying longer and bonding with a place and people we wouldn't have, so there's always a plus. Grin.

◆【主营项目】: ★★毕业証、成绩单、使馆认証、教育部认証、學生卡-- OFFER等.等! ★★办理[…]

Join Our Facebook Group Today!