Welcome Nomad!

The #1 free community for digital nomads. Ask questions and get answers. Share experiences, knowledge and your adventure. No more paid and private clubs, just one awesome community! Welcome :)

Get the resources, information, and answers to your burning questions about how to be a digital nomad. From quitting your day job to finding freelance gigs to taking your business on the road.
Hey Nomad folks (Hope I'm posting this in the right place)!

I'm starting to work remotely for a German company, while living in Spain. I would like to know if anyone has been in this sort of situation before.

The company tell me I need a Tax ID (Steuer number) and that to get that, I need to declare residency in Germany. This is a little problem for me, as I can't be in two places at the same time...

Any ideas on how to bypass this? Any alternative solutions come to mind?

Thanks a lot guys
Hey gorkamolero,

Do you currently have a declared residency in any country / is your home country taxing you on remote earnings? Are you officially working for the German company, or are you a contractor/freelancer?

Eg.

- I am from Canada
- I complete work for clients all over the world
- I invoice them and they pay me via e-transfer or PayPal
- They are not charged taxes, nor do they need to pay taxes for paying me, since I am invoicing them (not an official employee)
- I then personally pay income tax on this income, in my home country (Canada)
Tax situations are difficult and hard to explain and actually only official tax persons are allowed to give advice in germany.

However here my opinion>

You live in Spain, therefore you are supposed to pay income tax in Spain, not in Germany (at least if you live more than 6 months of the year outside of Germany).

Most European countries have double tax agreements anyway with each other I assume, to avoid that taxpayers are being taxed tiwce.

Hey- I'm a 33 year old entrepreneur and digital no[…]

Hi,my name is Rebecca I am 23 years old and I`m fr[…]

Hello, I'm new here although I was following this[…]

Nomad Survey!

Hi Nomads, I am currently an intern at an architec[…]

Join Our Facebook Group Today!