Welcome Nomad!

The #1 free community for digital nomads. Ask questions and get answers. Share experiences, knowledge and your adventure. No more paid and private clubs, just one awesome community! Welcome :)

Looking for the best hostels and housing options abroad? (First question, what's the wifi like and is it free). Start here and get the inside scoop from other Digital Nomads.
By Ryan
Hello Everyone,

I am looking to rent a 2 bed apartment or a house in Koh Samui. I don't know how long I will stay, I know it will most likely be a minimum of 3 months. I am at the early stage of my research. I wanted to find out how much it would cost me on rent average? I don't need super luxury or best see views. However, descent internet is a must for me as I will be working. However, I do want to be reasonably close to the beach. I want to be at a house or flat not too near main roads as I will have a 9 year old with me. Any advice would be welcome. Thanks.

Ryan
By Robert O'Kruk
Hey Ryan,

Just spent about a month in Koh Samui and Koh Phangnan. Just wanted to say that if you're at the early stages, would highly recommend Koh Phangnan over Koh Samui. Koh Samui is a lot more expensive, touristy, and people constantly trying to get your money.

Koh Phangnan is more relaxed. Let me know if you have questions about Koh Phangnan.
By Ryan
Thanks Rob, I will look into Koh Phangnan. I am open to suggestions and ideas. However, I want to be within walking or a short commute from the beach, and I need it to be relatively safe, so that I don't I have to watch over my shoulders constantly. If I was on my own it would be different and I could stay almost anywhere. Thanks.
By Robert O'Kruk
Very understandable. There are lots of places where you will be able to stay right on the beach, or very close by. Koh Phangnan is very safe. I was with my girlfriend and we both felt extremely safe and we explored all over the island. When reading about it you will see the famous full moon party is hosted there which may make it seem like a "party island", but that is really only on one area of the island.

Good luck! :)
By Ryan
Thanks. But I have bigger issues than finding a place now. I have just realised that getting a visa for Thailand is a nightmare. Most of the options look bad. How are all the other people who stay there long term do it? Am I missing a trick?
By Robert O'Kruk
It's pretty crap. Basically you get 30 days upon arrival which you can extend another 30 days for 1,750 baht. You can get a work or student visa as well (more difficult) and might not be suitable for you. Finally the only real long term option is the multi entry tourist visa (METV). You get 60 days, this can be extended 30 days as well. At the end of the potentially 90 days in Thailand, you can leave the country and come back on the same or next day (border run) and get a new 60 day pass. Hence the name "multi entry tourist visa". This pass can be extended 30 days as well. So in total with the METV you stay 9 months, 3 60 day periods that can be extended 30 days each. You must leave the country every 90 days for this to work. There are several companies who will manage the whole border run process for you but overall if you do it, or they, staying long term in Thailand has a lot of extra work and costs involved which are really unfortunate.
By Ryan
Thinks Rob. It seem like I am chatting to you in both places. I feel much more positive and hopeful now. I think I have a much better mental plan now since yesterday. Appreciate the advice.
coworking spaces Thailand

Hi there, If you are looking for a place for igni[…]

Expats normally are found in the Fort BoniFacio, M[…]

Top 5 Remote & Mobile Job Finding Platforms

Hey guys, If you are specifically looking for Cus[…]

Virtual Assistant

Hey Kristin, Not sure about VA but if you are int[…]

Join Our Facebook Group Today!